DRILLS FOR BODY ORIENTATION
Materials: 1 ball per person
Body Orientation in Spaces
- Explore basketball court (side-lines, end-lines, circles), walking, running, jumping, dribbling.
- Throw the ball towards the sidelines and try to catch it before it goes out to court: same towards the end-line/baseline.
- Walk around the court with one eye closed and one eye open, both eyes closed, dribbling, jumping and dribbling.
- Dribble following court-lines, circles, lanes.
- Walk around the court passing ball under legs.
- Dribble standing still with preferred hand, walking and running.
- Dribble standing still and jump with feet together, jump on one foot, with open legs, crossed legs.
- Dribble with one hand and jump on corresponding foot.
- Dribble against the wall with one hand, two hands.
- Dribble high, very high, low, very low.
- Dribble sitting down with one finger, two, three, four, five fingers.
- Dribble a tam-tam with the ball.
- Throw the ball very high and catch it with the same hand, with the opposite hand, with two hands (standing, kneeling, sitting, lying on the ground).
- Dribble and jump in a straight line.
COACHING KEY POINTS
- Encourage the players to challenge themselves by increasing speed once they master the various drills
- Take the eyes off the ball and use the fingertips when handling the ball (not relevant for all drills)
SPORTS SKILLS OUTCOME
- Improved coordination skills
- Improved ball handling skills
LIFE SKILLS OUTCOME
- Self-awareness will increase, as the players become more familiar with physical limits and strengths in terms of speed, agility, and endurance.
- Ability to work as a team is improved.